It was great seeing all the parents at our class’ open house. Thank you so much for adjusting your schedules to make it!
We have had another terrific week in kindergarten! The children are mastering routines and learning new skills.
• Readers read the pictures and words
• Readers read books from cover to cover
• Readers read to learn more
• Readers add a pinch of themselves to their reading adding in what they think
• Readers learn from the pictures and words
• Readers find letters and words they know in a text
• Readers read to sound like a teacher
• We have been practicing learning the sounds of the different letters. We have had direct, daily practice of letters: f, t, b, m, n, i, u
• You can use the alphabet chart to help children practice identifying upper and lowercase letters and their corresponding sounds. I will be sending home flash cards to practice.
• Writers think of something they know about and make a picture in their mind
• Writers think, draw, label, and write
• Writers plan what they are going to say before they write
• Writers use planning lines to help organize what they are going to say
• When we are done we have just begun: we add words, labels, and pictures
• Our writing partners coach us page by page
• We ask questions to revise such as Who? Where? How?
• To explore different manipulatives
• To observe objects and compare them by different attributes including color, shape, size, number of sides, pattern or design, number of holes
• To count forward and back
• To exchange ten ones for a tens rod
• To count objects in a counting jar in different ways
• To record our thinking and counting
• To pattern
• Please send a water bottle in with your child each day
• No school Wednesday